Many distribution utilities rely on Olameter to meet some of their specialized systems needs. This can take two forms: managed hosting of systems owned by the utility or providing those systems in the form of SoftwareasaService(“SaaS”).
Managed hosting makes sense for the following reasons:
- Lower costs: For all but the largest utilities, Olameter’s managed hosting solutions cost less than building a dedicated in-house support team with all the requisite skills
- Full support: Olameter provides on-demand support on a 24/7 basis
- Experienced staff: Olameter specializes in the needs of distribution utilities and so our staff will quickly become an extension of your team, and you won’t be dealing with a different person every time you call
- It is your software: You can make the changes you want.
- Rugged operating environment: Olameter operates multiple data centers linked by diversely routed communications links. We do this to ensure that there is never a single point of failure with regards to either storage or connectivity
- Security: Olameter meets the most stringent requirements of the utility industry and is constantly upgrading its capabilities to meet new threats from hackers as they arise.
Utilities are increasingly demanding that their IT supplier provide Software-as-a-Service (“SaaS”) solutions. The big advantages of this approach are:
- Lowest up-front costs: being purely subscription-based, there are no up-front license fees. Olameter manages the IT infrastructure that is running the software, which brings down the cost of hardware and software maintenance as well
- Quick set up and deployment: Olameter’s SaaS applications are already installed and configured. This minimizes the time needed to deploy
- Easy upgrades: Olameter deals with all aspects of hardware and software updates, deploying upgrades centrally to the hosted applications and removing this workload and responsibility from the utility
- Accessibility: All the utility needs to access the application is a browser and an Internet connection. This is generally available on a wide range of devices and from anywhere in the world, making SaaS more accessible than traditional software installation
- Scalability: Olameter provides many subscription options and flexibility to change volume commitments up or down as needs vary, or, indeed, can be cancelled outright
- Access to advanced platforms: such as Olameter’s Internet of Things andSpatial Data Infrastructure